Terrible casting choices in movies


1.Emma Watson as Belle in Beauty and the Beast(2017)


This is my all time favorite Disney movie and Belle is my favorite princess. This movie made so many odd choices that left me scratching my head. Wardrobe was one. Why did we change her dress? Why are we showing her pantalooms?



Why did the magnificent golden, off the shoulder dress from the cartoon turn into.... well this? It looks like a costume. A decent costume...but this looks like dress-up.
Why did they choose Emma Watson to play  Belle? I was wary of this choice from day one. She looks nothing like Belle for one. For two, she can't fucking sing. I was quite offended by Emma Watson being casted as Belle and I'm really bothered by the fact that I believe this choice was only made because Watson did such an amazing job as Hermione Granger. It's true that Hermione and Belle are similar characters. The parallels the two fictional women share doesn't mean that the same actress can portray them both. And the singing thing really pisses me off. Emma has ruined one of my favorite Disney songs and  even with her voice enhanced, she just sounds like a robot. Why did they do this?
In all,  I found this casting choice LAZY. Although I enjoyed the live action version the one (and only time) I seen it, I prefer the cartoon counterparts. 





2. Anthony Mackie as Papa Doc in 8 Mile(2002)
so If you've seen 8 Mile, you know that Papa Doc (real name Clarence) is essentially a poser that pretends to be hood. I never believed his character because although Papa Doc is basically discredited at the end of the film, throughout 8 Mile Papa Doc is supposed to be threatening and scary and one of those dudes that 3& 1/3 (Eminems crew) doesn't want to fuck with. Anthony Mackie...
His dialogue feel forced and inauthentic. The other dudes in his crew felt like real goons to me but Papa Doc, who is supposed to be their leader, comes off corny, in every single scene.

3. Derek Luke as Diddy in Notorious(2009)
Nah. Derek Luke, he's a pretty decent actor, I'm not saying he's not good. He's just not Diddy. Diddy is cool. Diddy has a certain swag about him that cannot be faked. Derek Luke telling Biggie "I'm Hungry." While referring to Bigs music career always makes me cringe. This role feels very forced. I don't understand why Luke was chosen for this role, it's all wrong...It takes more than a Coogi sweater and some sunglasses to play Diddy.  Sorry ya'll, maybe they should have went with an unknown for this role.

4. Anthony Mackie as Tupac in Notorious(2009)
If Mackie struggled to convince me he was a fake Gangster named Clarence, you better believe I was livid when I saw his attempt at portraying Tupac in Notorious. It takes more than a silk shirt and a bald head to portray the late great Tupac. Tupac is a legend. I don't even think Mackie knew what to do with this role I see no semblance of who Tupac really was. While Notorious did a great job with  most of it's casting choices, apparently Tupacs role was a complete afterthought. This role, sickens me, to this day.
                        



5. The Entire Cast from Aaliyah: the Princess of R&B(2014)

Um really Lifetime? Really? The actress that played Aaliyah is lightskin, that's where the resemblance stops. This film was disrespectful to Aaliyah's memory and the young actor  who played her definitely didn't bring the singer back to life.
                      
As for the rest of the cast...The people that played Missy Elliot and Timbaland? Um? And the guy that played R. Kelly. What. The. Hell.




6. Zoe Zaldana as Nina Simone  in Nina (2016)
This was such a travesty  and an insult. Nina Simone was more than a singer, she was an icon and a Civil Rights Activist.
I'm pretty sure the late singer was rolling in her grave at the casting choice of Zoe Saldana, who didn't have the same build, complexion, and has no singing abilities, to portray her.


They basically put Zoe in blackface, the results were in really poor taste. Shame on the filmmakers and shame on Zoe for agreeing to this.


7. Rosie O Donell as grown up Roberta in Now and Then (1995)
What an amazing coming of Age story. Now and Then will always have a special place in my heart. Roberta, the fearless, badass that tapes down her boobs is played authentically by the young Christina Ricci.
I have major issue with casting of Rosie O Donell to be  Roberta all grown up. Rosie has the attitude for sure but definitely not the look. 
I just get kind of sad to think that Roberta grows up to be Rosie. 

8.Flex Alexander as Michael Jackson in The Michael Jackson story(2004) 
My thing is WHY? I mean it started out okay I guess but then this happened.
Baby powder? Come on... this man is an icon. This is some bullshit! 


Comments

Popular Posts